Opening position: We currently have an openning for two postdoctoral fellows in the areas of drug/gene delivery and cancer therapy. Please see the full job descriptions and advertisements here:
1- Cancer Gene Therapy: http://www.postdocjobs.com/jobs/jobdetail.php?jobid=4015831
• Design and development of non-viral vectors (nanomedicine) for image-guided cancer gene therapy.
• Stem cell engineering for imaging and therapy of cancer
• Cancer Immunotherapy
• Recombinant production of difficult-to-make peptides/proteins
1998 – 2002 Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Alberta, Canada
2003 – 2006 Postdoctoral Fellow (Recombinant Vector Engineering, Cancer Gene Therapy)
University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
2015-2020 NIH/NCI (R01CA175318)
2014-2016 NIH/NIBIB (R21EB016792)
2012-2013 Rutgers University Faculty Research Grant (#281663)
2010-2015 American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (SURF Program)
2009-2013 Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Program New Investigator Award (PC081055)
2007-2008 Department of Defense Breast Cancer Program Concept Award (BC062929)
2006-2007 American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant (IRG-77-003-26)
Journal Editorial Activity
Since 2013 Editorial board member, Journal of Pharmaceutics & Pharmacology
2011 Theme Editor of “Advances in Image-Guided Drug Delivery”
Journal: Drug Delivery and Translational Research
2010 Theme Editor of “Advances in Recombinant Polymers for Delivery of Bioactive Agents”
Journal: Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews
Since 2008 Associate Editor, Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
For complete list of publications on Pubmed, please click here or see below:
36. F.S. Nouri, D. Banerjee, A. Hatefi, Practical Issues with the Use of Stem Cells for Cancer Gene Therapy. Stem Cell Rev (2015) In press
35. Z. Karjoo, X. Chen, A. Hatefi, Progress and Problems with the Use of Suicide Genes for Targeted Cancer Therapy. Adv Drug Deliv Rev (2015) In press
34. F.S. Nouri, X. Wang, X. Chen, A. Hatefi, Reducing the Visibility of the Vector/DNA Nanocomplexes to the Immune System by Elastin-Like Peptides. Pharm Res 32(9):3018-28 (2015).
33. F.S. Nouri, X. Wang, A. Hatefi, Genetically engineered theranostic mesenchymal stem cells for the evaluation of the anticancer efficacy of enzyme/prodrug systems. J Control Release 200:179-187 (2015)
32. B.A. Khaw, K.S. Gada, V. Patil, R. Panwar, S. Mandapati, A. Hatefi
, S. Majewski, A. Weisenberger A. Bispecific antibody complex pre-targeting and targeted delivery of polymer drug conjugates for imaging and therapy in dual human mammary cancer xenografts : Targeted polymer drug conjugates for cancer diagnosis and therapy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging
31. Y. Wang, L. Zhang, S. Guo, A. Hatefi
, L. Huang, Incorporation of histone derived recombinant protein for enhanced disassembly of core-membrane structured liposomal nanoparticles for efficient siRNA delivery. J Control Release
30. F.S. Nouri, X. Wang, M. Dorrani, Z. Karjoo, A. Hatefi,
A Recombinant Biopolymeric Platform for Reliable Evaluation of the Activity of pH-Responsive Amphiphile Fusogenic Peptides. Biomacromolecules
29. H. Parhiz, M. Hashemi, A. Hatefi,
W.T. Shier, S.A. Farzad, M. Ramezani, Arginine-Rich Hydrophobic Polyethylenimine; Potent Agent with Simple Components for Nucleic Acid Delivery. Int J Biol Macromol
28. Z. Karjoo, H.O. McCarthy, P. Patel, F.S. Nouri, A. Hatefi
, Systematic Engineering of Uniform and Highly Efficient Targeted-Shielded Viral-Mimetic Nanoparticles. Small
27. T. Minko, A. Hatefi,
Preface-tenth international nanomedicine and drug delivery symposium (NanoDDS'12). J Control Release
26. F. Soltani, M. Sankian, A. Hatefi
, M. Ramezani, Development of a novel histone H1-based recombinant fusion peptide for targeted non-viral gene delivery. Int J Pharm
25. H. Parhiz, M. Hashemi, A. Hatefi
, W.T. Shier, S.A.Farzad, M. Ramezani, Molecular weight-dependent genetic information transfer with disulfide-linked polyethylenimine-based nonviral vectors. J Biomater Appl
24. F. Sadeghian, S. Hosseinkhani, A. Alizadeh, A. Hatefi
, Design, engineering and preparation of a multi-domain fusion vector for gene delivery. Int J Pharm
23. K. S. Gada, V. Patil, R. Panwar, A. Hatefi, and B. Khaw. Bispecific Antibody Complex Pre-targeted Delivery of Polymer–Drug Conjugates for Cancer Therapy. Drug Deliv and Transl Res 2:65–76 (2012)
22. B. F. Canine, Y. Wang, W. Ouyang, and A. Hatefi. Development of Targeted Recombinant Polymers that can deliver siRNA to the Cytoplasm and Plasmid DNA to the Cell Nucleus. J Control Release 405(1-2):196-202 (2011)
21. H.O. McCarthy, A.V. Zholobenko, Y. Wang, B. Canine, T. Robson, D.G. Hirst, A. Hatefi.
Evaluation of a Multi-Functional Nanocarrier for Targeted Breast Cancer iNOS Gene Therapy. Int J Pharm
20. M. Hashemi, B.H. Parhiz, A. Hatefi, M. Ramezani. Modified polyethyleneimine with histidine-lysine short peptides as gene carrier. Cancer Gene Therapy 1:12-19 (2011)
19. Y. Wang, B.F. Canine, A. Hatefi,
HSV-TK/GCV Cancer Suicide Gene Therapy by a Designed Recombinant Multifunctional Vector. Nanomedicine
7 (2):193-200 (2011)
18. H. Ghandehari, A. Hatefi,
Advances in recombinant polymers for delivery of bioactive agents. Adv Drug Delivery Rev,
62 (15):1403 (2010)
17. B.F. Canine, A. Hatefi, Development of cationic recombinant polymers for gene therapy research, Adv Drug Delivery Rev, 62 (15):1524-9 (2010)
16. H.O. McCarthy, Y. Wang, S.S. Mangipudi, and A. Hatefi, Advances with the use of bio-inspired vectors towards creation of artificial viruses. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 7 (4) (2010) 1-16.
15. B.F. Canine, Y. Wang, A. Hatefi, Biosynthesis and characterization of a novel genetically engineered polymer for targeted gene transfer to cancer cells. J Control Release 138 (3) (2009) 188-196.
14. S.S. Mangipudi, B.F. Canine, Y. Wang, A. Hatefi, Development of a genetically engineered biomimetic vector for targeted gene transfer to breast cancer cells. Mol Pharm 6 (4) (2009) 1100–1109.
13. A. Hatefi and B. Canine, Perspectives in vector development for systemic cancer gene therapy. Gene Ther Mol Biol 13 (2009) 15-19.
12. Y. Wang, S.S. Mangipudi, B.F. Canine, A. Hatefi, A designer biomimetic vector with a chimeric architecture for targeted gene transfer. J Control Release 137 (2009) 46-53.
11. A. Dehshahri, R.K. Oskuee, W.T. Shier, A. Hatefi, and M. Ramezani, Gene transfer efficiency of high primary amine content, hydrophobic, alkyl-oligoamine derivatives of polyethylenimine. Biomaterials 30 (25) (2009) 4187-94.
10. A. Hatefi and H. Ghandehari, Recombinant Polymers: Promise for Gene Therapy. Controlled Release Society Newsletter 26 (2) (2009)16-18.
9. B.F. Canine, Y. Wang, A. Hatefi, Evaluation of the effect of vector architecture on DNA condensation and gene transfer efficiency. J Control Release 129 (2008) 117-123.
8. A. Hatefi, J. Cappello, H. Ghandehari, Adenoviral gene delivery to solid tumors by recombinant silk-elastinlike protein polymers. Pharm Res 24(4) (2007) 773-779.
7. A. Hatefi, Z. Megeed, H. Ghandehari, Recombinant polymer-protein fusion: a promising approach towards efficient and targeted gene delivery. J Gene Med 8(4) (2006) 468-476.
6. M. Haider, A. Hatefi, H. Ghandehari, Recombinant polymers for cancer gene therapy: a minireview. J Control Release 109(1-3) (2005) 108-119.
5. A. Hatefi, D. Knight, B. Amsden, A biodegradable injectable thermoplastic for localized camptothecin delivery. J Pharm Sci 93(5) (2004) 1195-1204.
4. B. Amsden, A. Hatefi, D. Knight, E. Bravo-Grimaldo, Development of biodegradable injectable thermoplastic oligomers. Biomacromolecules 5(2) (2004) 637-642.
3. A. Hatefi, B. Amsden, Biodegradable injectable in situ forming drug delivery systems. J Control Release 80(1-3) (2002) 9-28.
2. A. Hatefi, B. Amsden, Camptothecin delivery methods. Pharm Res 19(10) (2002) 1389-1399.
1. M.R. Tehrani and A. Hatefi. Characterization and evaluation of enteric-coated controlled release tablet formulations of diclofenac sodium. Acta Pharmaceut (1996) 46: 285-294.
Karjoo, Z.; Ganapathy, V.; Hatefi, A., Gene Directed Enzyme Prodrug Cancer Therapy. In Gene Therapy of Cancer, Lattime, E. C.; Gerson, S. L., Eds. Elsevier Inc.: 2013, pages 77-91
2007 Z. Megeed, A. Hatefi, H. Ghandehari, Recombinant protein polymer vectors for systemic gene delivery, Publication Number: US 20070098702 A1
2015 A. Hatefi, Low-Immunogenic Elastin Like Oligopeptides And Methods of Use Thereof. Provisional Patent Application Number 5702US02. Teaching
Genetically Engineered Drug Delivery Systems (Graduate level course)
Advanced Pharmaceutics (Graduate level course)
Introduction to Pharmaceutics (Pharm.D. level course)
Membership in Professional Organizations
Since 1999 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS)
Since 2001 Controlled Release Society (CRS)
Since 2002 Canadian Society for Pharmaceutical Scientists (CSPS)
Since 2004 American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT)
Since 2007 American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
Since 2007 American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)